Stuart's work as a professional ecologist covers several species groups and disciplines. The following list, although not exhaustive, illustrates the diversity of recent work undertaken:
- Undertaking breeding, wintering and species specific bird species surveys. Sites and habitats have included landfill sites, sewage farms, rural farmland, upland moors, scottish highlands, coastal lochs, urban areas and land adjacent to nature reserves.
- Co-ordination and delivery of surveys for Water Voles and Otters for HS2 Project
- Undertaking Vantage Point surveys using TIN069 guidelines and methodology for onshore energy developments and windfarms. Target species have included divers, skuas and raptors
- Undertaking live destructive searches for protected amphibians & reptiles prior to major development in SE England
- Undertaking transect/static surveys for Bats, using Anabat SD1 and SM2 Monitoring equipment
- Undertaking surveys (3 methods) for Great Crested Newts and refugia surveys for reptiles
- Natural England Schedule 1 Barn Owl licence holder
- Monitoring Barn Owl activity on new major road building scheme in Eastern England
- Undertaking Phase 1 Habitat Surveys and use of GIS mapping programmes
- Writing and presenting species specific reports for Nightjar and Woodlark, amongst others.
- Undertaking offshore bird surveys for wind energy developments, working to JNCC guidelines and through STCW95 Maritime & Coastguard offshore regulations
- Working towards licences for Bats, Great Crested Newts, Dormice and other EPS species
Surveying for the following European Protected Species:
- Barn Owls (Natural England Schedule 1 Licence holder)
- Great Crested Newts (Working towards Natural England Licence)
- Water Voles
- Hazel Dormice
Stuart is also experienced in the following methodologies:
- Extended Phase 1 Habitat Surveys.
- Environmental Impact Assessments.
- Site Assessments and Hedgerow Classification.
- Methodology for Vantage Point Surveys (TIN069 and SNH guidelines).
- Maritime & Coastguard STCW95 offshore accreditation for boat-based surveys of proposed wind energy developments